Bereitschaftsbeitrag

Zur Front

21. April 2019

Preconception and belief

A preconception is a notion of how things ought to be and a belief is a notion of how things are.
The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
When we are born into this world, we have the preconception that there ought to be a place in it for us. But we may believe that that is not so. When I was 3 years old I first came to that belief, but I fought against it until I was 12.

Every time though that a preconception is sliding, it is replaced by a positive belief in its stead, the mechanism for which I explained in the previous post: we are promised what we believe in, if we honour the holy. So each time we find that we do not believe in what ought to be so, a belief rises in us on what the holy has in store for the lack.

When I was 3, I believed thus in the promise of God's guidance, and when I was 12, I thus believed in higher education.

It has happened twice more. When I was 24, I had to let go of the preconception that a special connection implies a special relation. Instead I believed that time would judge the matter, whose judgment would be proven right. And part of that belief is a wall of destruction awaiting anyone who dares to interfere in this matter with time. This was unleashed in Utøya and last Monday in Paris. The point of contention is whether my Lord has the power to save or not.

It is a little ironic that this seems to come to a head in the form of a Yellowstone eruption, beyond which point I won't have any doubt anymore.

The last time it happened a few days ago, when I let go of the preconception that one who travels has something to share on his return. Instead I believe that it is my prerogative to stand in the storm at a place of my liking.

So, a man finds no guarantees in preconceptions, like that of the lost son or of a soul mate, all that is uncertain and not promised to him, he is not promised a place in this world, but he is promised that what he discovers as holy will shape the world, if he pledges himself to it and thus believes.

We do not lay our heads, for from our heads our abodes arise.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,