Bereitschaftsbeitrag

Zur Front

29. Mai 2020

Amongst barbarians

I'm 46 years old and it took me so long to realise that I'm not the only person on the face of the earth, who believes in going through life and sifting out what is beautiful for later use. It is actually a family trait that at least some members of my extended family share.

Although it doesn't really make that much of a difference in absolute numbers, one or some very few, and it makes absolutely no difference in terms of my actions, it does make a considerable difference in how I feel, namely beleaguered or filling my place in society.

When I took refuge to the Lord in the name of everything that is beautiful in the world when I was three, I did the only reasonable thing considering the odds, but I thought ever since that I was living in a bubble, whereas I simply tried to stay true to my nature.

A man may of course collect what is beautiful in different ways, in a specialty shop, in his garden, as a painter and also as a philosopher collecting interesting angles on various subjects. Whatever the public's esteem for the latter occupation may be, it certainly has a wider scope than that of painting.

Most people consider beauty a prize of honour, an open display an act of boasting, but the tiniest minority believes that all it takes to make the world a more beautiful place is to choose beauty over ugliness.

Well, it is no pleasure to live in a land where people expect to be honoured for embracing ugliness and turn violent on you for embracing beauty, because they feel disrespected. So I kept my head down since I was twelve, I enjoy no luxury whatsoever, still there is hatred simply for being content. Someone's got it backwards: respect is a relative thing, taking its meaning from the quality that engenders it, beauty is absolute and who ever said it would be just to sacrifice her at the altar of respect? Wouldn't respect based on a quality that manifests a higher beauty, which the virtues are, need no sacrifice, but be willingly served? Still they are set in their way, ever appeasing the dragons.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,