Bereitschaftsbeitrag

Zur Front

2. September 2020

Approaching the person we want to be

If we analyse the development of Supertramp's songs during the 1970s, we find five stages of the approach to acceptance that every person has to go through, if he wants to become the person he believes in, namely concerning oneself with
  1. arbitrary things (e.g. Indelibly Stamped),
  2. one's own choice (e.g. Crime of the Century),
  3. received things (e.g. Crisis? What Crisis?),
  4. receivable things (e.g. Even in the Quietest Moments) and
  5. accepted duties (e.g. Breakfast in America).
I didn't really receive anything until I was 30 years old, though I expect only a handful of people to have received as I received then. Things are still expanding. I'm only realising that my refuge in nature comes as a reaction to the direction of our progress without considering the holy aims of people, of which of course I've only been reasonably assured about five times or so meeting other people in my 46 years in this world, and only two were stable.

Yet people cannot be dismissed, my belief has to be directed at their sphere. But what common ideas are there other than cliché? What understanding is there other than speaking of good will? It would be nice, if I could speak of the merits of the different schools of spirituality, but that approach would come to naught as far as the pursuit of the holy is concerned. My best approach lies oddly enough with Supertramp and the memories that people may still have from when they were listening to Supertramp's songs for the first time. There may be still some worthwhile personal ideas and a slightly more differentiated understanding.

But this has to be expanded. Anyway, the battle for the souls of men is definitely here: the temptation, the fear of falling short, the blessedness.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,