Bereitschaftsbeitrag

Zur Front

25. Dezember 2020

True in the end

True understanding always arises out of an experience. So what are the experiences that Jesus is referring to in Mark 9:40 and Matthew 12:30?
   And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils [δαιμόνια] in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.
    But if I cast out devils
[δαιμόνια] by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
Jesus is pointing out in the second passage that the casting out of demons (i.e. emotions that give the devil power over the world) is his strategy to bring about the kingdom of God. Those who do not participate in this work are fine with the way things are. And in the first passage Jesus is pointing out that the deed is a better judge of the spirit of a man than the pledge. So, what he is saying is:

The speech that isn't against me, is for me, but the deed that isn't for me, is against me. Don't let words divide you, but take inaction as proof of division.

There are two different warnings that I have received in my life pertaining to this:
  1. Fear of being left alone in the dark.
  2. Fear of being judged without hearing.
The former is the fear of losing the ability to do good, because one fled the effort, and the latter is the fear of not having done good, because one fled the effort. The former pertains to our formation, becoming worthy, and the latter to proving that we're up to the task. Somewhere outside in the far reaches of the cold there is the fear of the dark, but here in the strong man's house the fear of the judgment is brewing, for you cannot convince a believer that silence is peace. Neither can you teach an unbeliever what peace is. He, who doesn't understand the promise, cannot fulfil it. Fermentation is still needed, but the ingredients are there.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,