Bereitschaftsbeitrag

Zur Front

8. November 2022

Reasonable mice?

I have to report this, even though I really don't want to do it.

As you know, I've witnessed several forms of telepathy between humans, between humans and animals and also the appearance of it between animals. One form, however, I have not witnessed where animals are involved and neither should I've been able to witness it, because it presupposes reason in the involved parties, namely the parallel grasping of the significance (meaningfulness) of something.

I may not have witnessed this now, and then again I may have. In any case what I've witnessed now I have never witnessed before and animals simply should not behave this way, a specifically trained dog could behave this way, but that a dog, who has not been trained, would behave this way, I very much doubt, and far more so in case of a mouse, but there it is.

I had put out wax rat poison last year and forgot about it. The poison was eaten a month ago or so. I put out new poison, but of a very different kind in look, substance and smell and, I can only imagine, taste.

It was, at least initially, not eaten. Instead a mouse had put the packaging of an instant glue tube on top of the poison. Then, after I had removed it, a mouse put a part of the packaging of the other, wax rat poison on top of it!

Well, those packages were lying around there somewhere, and it seems that some mouse just wanted to hide the poison. I have never seen that, but then again it's not really that noteworthy. But now a mouse had moved into my bedroom and stashed some wheat there, more or less in open sight and the mouse wasn't particularly troubled, when I shone a torchlight on it this night, it wasn't even scared away, when I went after its stash with a vacuum cleaner, but simply waited in hiding. And then, after that, after I set a mousetrap with some bread, the mouse again appeared in plain sight beside the trap and then when I went into the cellar to close a hole through which it must have entered my bedroom it put an ear plug that I had lost in between boxes of tools and of which I was thinking when I went into the cellar on top of a coil of wire where I would see it.

Now this is like a dog fetching your shoes! And in this case the shoes were hidden, shoes that the dog never saw before and of which the dog didn't know that I wanted them. Again, a specifically trained dog might act that way, present your belongings for attention, but a mouse? Why the ear plug? Why not a nail or a screw?

The mouse went into the trap after I had fallen asleep, it didn't possess that much understanding, but the whole episode is uncanny.

Labels: , , , , ,