Bereitschaftsbeitrag

Zur Front

9. März 2022

Craving and coping or respecting the human spirit

I was wondering, why I was writing the last post only now. And then I was listening to E.L.O.'s very disco Discovery album and therein lies the answer.

In 1980, one year after the album came out, I stayed with my family (well, I was six years old then) in a hotel by  the beach on Mallorca that was filled with Swedish tourists and had not only its own pool where I broke off the left corner of my right front tooth while diving, but also its own disco which made it somewhat difficult to sleep at night.

The grandezza of the people! The grown-ups certain in their affairs, taking life lightly, the Swedish kids arrogantly awaiting to join their ranks. I was only a little disturbed.

Fast forward twelve years and I was positively repelled by the arrogance of the career students. If you grew up like me in the '80s the older generation was dangling the promise of total control over life in front of your nose and many of my generation went for it, but I understood with 18 years that you shouldn't crave a spirit that you can't cope with, that what is promised to the people has to be paid by the people.

Hence my ensuing interest in computers as the means to break the promise, to leave a generation striving for total control totally controlled. As long as I didn't see proof of the latter I just pushed the issue to the back of my mind, thinking that it isn't me who's holding the bet that it doesn't come to fruition: If someone boards a ship, it's his to steer.

Of course, I'm no more a friend of being controlled, than I am of controlling others, but I always looked at the whole thing as a shadow walking amongst men, something that told me into what kind of story I was born, and precisely because people thought so little of it, I thought so little of them that - there is no other way to put it - I was waiting for the director to stage his play.

After all, there are only people. What can come from them? The shadows walk in blind spots and once they're caught with their suggestions in the light of day they dissipate. But what's nothing in story time is quite dramatic in real time.

Just don't forget that there is story time, an overarching sense to our experience. Believe that the understanding you've been given is not a tool to help you move rocks, but that it exists to capture the reflection of the divine intent behind your self.

If you can. If you have insight. Take responsibility for this form of human existence, for respecting the human spirit as an extension of the divine, pray for a path for it to continue to exist, and fear nothing from those who hurl empty forms at you, although you may want to avoid the latter: What will save us cannot be known, but it can be pursued and brought about, and since it is so it cannot be taught, but the student has to take his vows on his own accord.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,